Charles Holland Architects
Northbourne Park School occupies the landscaped grounds and original buildings of Betteshanger House, a Grade II* building designed by the prominent Victorian Architect George Devey in the 1860s.
The school wishes to make a number of improvements to its campus including new art and teaching facilities, an indoor swimming pool, all-weather tennis courts and associated improvements in landscaping, circulation and organisation. CHA have been appointed by the school to develop a campus masterplan as well as detail designs for the main new elements within it.
Bestteshanger House was George Devey’s first major commission and involved the extensive re-modelling of a Gothic Revival house designed by Robert Lugar in 1829.
The house itself is deliberately eclectic, employing a variety of materials and styles that suggest an accumulation of elements built over time: a key aspect of Devey's design approach. The landscape around the house was also designed by Devey and the whole setting is of considerable historic and architectual importance.
CHA have worked in close collaboration with Planning Consultant Tim Harbord and Neil Burton of the Architectural History Partnership to develop a masterplan that respects the historic setting of the house whilst allowing the school to grow and meet its future needs.
The first phase of work including new tennis courts and landscaping has just been granted Planning Approval. A second phase including a new Creative Art Centre will be submitted shortly.